This building was constructed in downtown Evanston in 1883 to be utilized for wagon, carriage, and farm equipment repair. It also served as a storage facility for products such as grain and wool. The building was moved to Depot Square in 1984 and was restored for public use in 1987. It has become a popular facility for birthday parties, dances, anniversaries, and live bands.
Historic Train Depot
This building was utilized to accommodate passenger service until 1983.
While passenger service resumed in the 1990s, it was discontinued again
shortly thereafter. We acquired the depot and completed the full
restoration in 1990. Today, the depot is utilized for meetings,
weddings, special events, and family gatherings. Cargo trains still roll
past the building, reminding those who enjoy the building of times
Built in 1914 and once used as a repair facility by the union Pacific Railroad, Evanston’s Machine Shop was restored and converted into a multi-use public facility in 2004. The large enclosed interior space is illuminated by hundreds of windows in the facades of the building and in the roof. The warm, delightful space this building offersfunctions very well for large gatherings and has the capacity to serve groups as large as 400 to 500 people.
Roundhouse Section One
The Evanston Roundhouse was built between 1912 and 1914 by the Union Pacific Railroad (UPRR). With its turntable (still operational) and 28 bays, the structure was utilized by UPRR to repair its railcars and engines. In 1971, UPRR vacated the site and donated most of the 27-acre area to the City of Evanston. In 2009, the first of four sections was completely restored (with funding from the Wyoming Business Council) and is utilized as community event space for both public and private functions. The 22,000 sq. ft. features a large gallery space, an open and furnished upstairs lounge area, a large classroom - which can be divided into three smaller classrooms - two kitchenettes, three spacious hallways and a grand staircase. The various portions of Section One can be rented all together or individually. This restoration project is a shining example of Evanston’s continuous historic preservation efforts.
J.T. & Phyllis Patterson Visitor Center
The J.T. & Phyllis Patterson Visitor Center was fully restored in 2011 with a significant donation from the local Patterson family. The structure was once used to store oil and other fuel in the operation of the entire site and was appropriately called the "Oil House." It is the only building on the site with a basement. Today, it makes a great classroom or meeting place, accommodating between 25 and 35 people. The visitor center contains one large screen t.v., a restroom, sound system-indoor/outdoor, tables, chairs and outdoor patio.
The Superintendent's Office at the Roundhouse & Railyards was, as its name suggests, the administrative hub of the site during its prime days of operation. In 2010, the City of Evanston decided to renovate the structure into more meeting/classroom space, and in 2012 it was completely refurbished with the help of many volunteers, material and cash donations and grant funding. The "office" accommodates classes/meetings of approximately 55 people and contains a kitchenette with a microwave, coffeemaker, sink and cooler. It also has plenty of tables and chairs, as well as, a projector and screen. The structure also features a deck ideal for speeches, lectures, performances and receptions.